You are hereBack to top
Virtual Book Talk • Hank Lazer featuring Jennifer Horne
Join us as we welcome Hank Lazer to a virtual book talk with Ernest & Hadley Books! He will discuss his new book: COVID-19 SUTRAS, a real-time engagement with the early phases of the pandemic, as that tragedy began to merge with the consequences of the death of George Floyd, Black Lives Matter, police brutality, and the increased awareness of the virus of American systemic racism. The virtual event starts at 5:00 PM CST. To participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or respond to the E&H Facebook event by Wednesday, September 2. We will then send you the Zoom link and passcode to participate.
Writing within the tradition of wisdom literature, Lazer’s COVID19 SUTRAS presents a real-time engagement with the early phases of the pandemic, as that tragedy began to merge with the consequences of the death of George Floyd, Black Lives Matter, police brutality, and the increased awareness of the virus of American systemic racism. Lazer’s series of poems hold outrage and peace, anger and momentary joy within a shared space. In the tradition of Chinese poet Tu Fu, Lazer’s writing anchors itself in a path of sustained Zen meditation and pastoral rejuvenation as means toward balance and insight. As with Lazer’s most recent works – Thinking in Jewish, Brush Mind, Slowly Becoming Awake, and Poems That Look Just Like Poems – COVID19 SUTRAS continues his exploration of the nature of consciousness itself, and those momentary sudden inscriptions that are part and parcel of the grace of each human incarnation.
Hank Lazer has published thirty-one books, including POEMS THAT LOOK JUST LIKE POEMS (Presses Universitaires de Rouen, 2019), SLOWLY BECOMING AWAKE (N32) (Dos Madres Press, 2019), Evidence of Being Here: Beginning in Havana (N27) (Negative Capability Press, 2018), THINKING IN JEWISH (N20) (Lavender Ink, 2017), POEMS HIDDEN IN PLAIN VIEW (in English and in French, 2016), Brush Mind: At Hand (GreencupBooks, 2016), N24 (Little Red Leaves / Textile Series, 2014), N18 (COMPLETE) (Singing Horse Press, 2012), Portions (Lavender Ink, 2009), THE NEW SPIRIT (Singing Horse, 2005), Elegies & Vacations (Salt, 2004), and Days (Lavender Ink, 2002). Selected Poems and Essays of Hank Lazer, completed by a group of translators and with a Preface by Nie Zhenzao, was published by Central China Normal University Press in 2015. Lazer's Selected Poems have also been published in Italy (Pensando Cantando: Poesie Scelte di Hank Lazer, QuiEdit, 2015, translated by Anny Ballardini) and will be appearing shortly in Cuba (Pensando Cantando, Torre de letras, translated by Omar Pérez). In 2011, in collaboration with visual artists from the Taller Experimental de Gréfica in Havana and the University of Alabama's Book Arts program, Lazer published Indivisible, a fine press bilingual edition of handwritten shape poems. Pages from the notebooks have been performed with soprano saxophonist Andrew Raffo Dewar, including performances at the University of Georgia (November 2013) and in Havana, Cuba (two concerts in January 2014), and most recently with legendary Birmingham improvisational guitarist Davey Williams. Over the past fifteen years, Lazer has collaborated with various jazz musicians, filmmakers, choreographers, and visual artists in seeking new ways to present poetry. With co-editor Charles Bernstein, Lazer edits the Modern and Contemporary Poetics Series for the University of Alabama Press. In January 2014, Lazer retired from the University of Alabama (where he continues to teach) after 37 years in a variety of positions, including Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, Executive Director of Creative Campus, and Professor of English.
Shopping Tips & Updates
**PLEASE ANTICIPATE LONGER SHIPPING TIMES** We apologize for any inconvenience, but please add 1-3 business days to the "ships in 1-5 days" indicated next to available items on order. This is temporary!
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" (**see above**) are available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is generally accurate. We will keep you posted on any outliers, especially during Covidia.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email email@example.com.
- "Backordered" books may be available, just not right away. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are purchasing a lot of items, please be aware that there may be delays, or they may arrive at different times. If any books are "Pre-Orders" please put those in a separate order, if at all possible. Much appreciated!
- If you select In-Store Pickup, we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available and waiting on our Contactless Cart, located just inside and behind the front door. Our current hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Sunday. Masks are still required to enter. If you'd prefer curbside pickup, please call from the front curb during business hours: (205) 632-5331.
- Friends & Family Members Please mention membership in the order comments. New total will be calculated after you submit the order but before payment is processed.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and In-Store Pickup (even if you need your order shipped), and include your gift card number on the back of the card in the order comments, along with your mailing address, if applicable. If your gift card will not cover the total with shipping (standard shipping is $2.50 + $2.00 per item) or you'd like to check your balance, please call (205) 632-5331 or email email@example.com.
- Having trouble completing the order? Please leave your items in your cart and call (205) 632-5331 to finish your order over the phone.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!