You are hereBack to top
Virtual Book Talk • Brian Phillip Whalen
Join us as we welcome Brian Phillip Whalen to a virtual book talk with Ernest & Hadley Books! He will discuss his new book: Semiotic Love [stories], which draws upon symbols and objects to explore the loss of relationships. The virtual event starts at 5:00 PM CST. To participate, please reserve your spot here by Friday, March 5 at 11:00 AM. We will then send you the Zoom link and passcode to participate.
In these pages, Brian Phillip Whalen reaches deep into the throat of anxiety with a graceful hand and understated humor as he confronts mothers and best friends dying slow or sudden deaths, disappointing vacations, and vanishing sisters. While loss of all kinds permeates these compact stories, it is the tenderness and longing that attaches itself to the reader and propels them to turn the page. This book reminds us that for better or for worse, we’re all a little rougher with the people we love the most.
Fans of Lydia Davis, Stuart Dybek, Sarah Manguso, and Donald Barthelme will find a kindred spirit in Brian Phillip Whalen. Semiotic Love’s brevity and evocative, lingering moments go hand in hand. Its stories can be read over breakfast or while you wait for the bus but will stay with you much longer.
Brian Phillip Whalen’s work can be found in The Southern Review, Creative Nonfiction, Copper Nickel, the Flash Nonfiction Food anthology, and elsewhere. Brian holds a PhD from the State University of New York at Albany and is the recipient of a Vermont Studio Center residency. He lives with his wife and daughter in Tuscaloosa where he teaches creative and first-year writing at The University of Alabama. This is his first book.
Shopping Tips & Updates
1. Please anticipate 3-5 business days for in-store pickup. We will let you know of any further delays, but if you need an item right away please call to see if it is in stock: (205) 632-5331.
2. Masks are required to enter the showroom and we are still offering curbside pickup if that is preferable. Select "in-store pickup," and when you receive notification that your order is ready, simply call from the curb out front and we will run it to you!
3. We are not accepting book drop-offs for store credit or donation (we never offer cash). We may re-evaluate after Nov. 8, 2020 when the state-wide mandate is expected to end. TBD. Thank you for understanding and continuing to do your part to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" are available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is generally accurate. We will keep you posted on any outliers, especially during Covidia.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email email@example.com.
- "Backordered" books may be available, just not right away. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are purchasing a lot of items, please be aware that there may be delays, or they may arrive at different times. If any books are "Pre-Orders" please put those in a separate order, if at all possible. Much appreciated!
- If you select In-Store Pickup, we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available and waiting on our Contactless Cart, located just inside and behind the front door. Our current hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Sunday. Masks are still required to enter. If you'd prefer curbside pickup, please call from the front curb during business hours: (205) 632-5331.
- Friends & Family Members Please mention membership in the order comments. New total will be calculated after you submit the order but before payment is processed.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and In-Store Pickup (even if you need your order shipped), and include your gift card number on the back of the card in the order comments, along with your mailing address, if applicable. If your gift card will not cover the total with shipping (standard shipping is $2.50 + $2.00 per item) or you'd like to check your balance, please call (205) 632-5331 or email email@example.com.
- Having trouble completing the order? Please leave your items in your cart and call (205) 632-5331 to finish your order over the phone.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!