You are hereBack to top
Reader Meet Writer • Kim Powers
You are invited to attend an event in the Reader Meet Writer series with Kim Powers on August 11, 4:00 PM CST. To participate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or respond to the E&H Facebook event by Monday, August 10. We will then send you the Zoom link and passcode to participate. And it's all FREE. If you want to buy the book, it will be available on the E&H eCommerce website at 15% off from August 11 to 14 (hardcover only).
It’s the late 1960s in McKinney, Texas. At the downtown theater and the local drive-in, movies—James Bond, My Fair Lady, Alfie, and Doctor Zhivago—feed the dreams and obsessions of ten-year-old Clarke who loves Audrey, Elvis, his family, and the handsome boy in the projector booth. Then Clarke loses his beloved mother. And no one will tell him how she died. No one will tell her either. She is floating above the trees and movie screens of McKinney, trapped between life and death, searching for a glimpse of her final moments on this earth. The shattering answer haunts Rules for Being Dead, Kim Powers’ darkly humorous and incredibly moving novel. An unlikely love child of Mark Childress’ Crazy in Alabama and Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones, this book pays homage to the movies of the 1960s and vividly conjures the machinations of small-town Texas with a wicked sense of humor and an unexpected tenderness. Native Texan Kim Powers brings a steady hand to all proceedings, including a ghostly mother, an evil stepmother, a clueless father, and a full cast of misfits--all orchestrated within a lively plot which is anything but predictable.
Kim Powers is a two-time Emmy winner and author of the novels Dig Two Graves and Capote in Kansas, as well as the critically acclaimed memoir The History of Swimming, a Barnes & Noble Discover Book and Lambda Literary Award finalist for Best Memoir of the Year. He also wrote the screenplay for the festival-favorite indie film Finding North and the new play Sidekicked, a “one broad comedy” about Vivian Vance. Powers is the Senior Writer for ABC's 20/20, part of the team that has received an unprecedented three consecutive Edward R. Murrow Awards. A native Texan, he received an MFA from the Yale School of Drama. In 2007, he was selected by Out Magazine for the influential "Out 100" list. He lives in Manhattan and Asbury Park, NJ.
Shopping Tips & Updates
**PLEASE ANTICIPATE LONGER SHIPPING TIMES** We apologize for any inconvenience, but please add 1-3 business days to the "ships in 1-5 days" indicated next to available items on order. This is temporary!
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" (**see above**) are available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is generally accurate. We will keep you posted on any outliers, especially during Covidia.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email email@example.com.
- "Backordered" books may be available, just not right away. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are purchasing a lot of items, please be aware that there may be delays, or they may arrive at different times. If any books are "Pre-Orders" please put those in a separate order, if at all possible. Much appreciated!
- If you select In-Store Pickup, we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available and waiting on our Contactless Cart, located just inside and behind the front door. Our current hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Sunday. Masks are still required to enter. If you'd prefer curbside pickup, please call from the front curb during business hours: (205) 632-5331.
- Friends & Family Members Please mention membership in the order comments. New total will be calculated after you submit the order but before payment is processed.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and In-Store Pickup (even if you need your order shipped), and include your gift card number on the back of the card in the order comments, along with your mailing address, if applicable. If your gift card will not cover the total with shipping (standard shipping is $2.50 + $2.00 per item) or you'd like to check your balance, please call (205) 632-5331 or email email@example.com.
- Having trouble completing the order? Please leave your items in your cart and call (205) 632-5331 to finish your order over the phone.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!