You are hereBack to top
E&H [OPEN] Book Club (w/author appearance!)
SPECIAL GUEST ANNOUNCEMENT - Author Laura Hunter will join us for our next meeting on November 14 from 5:30-7:30!
Ernest & Hadley Books’ Open Book Club read works by local authors from the West Alabama area. One of the perks: the authors frequent our meetings! We’d just love to have you join us If you can’t make it to the meeting, you can always follow along on Goodreads (E&H - Tuscaloosa). And don’t forget: you can save 20% on current and future book club reads in-store by mentioning the E&H Book Club at checkout. Love your local!
BELOVED MOTHER - A story of the lives of three women, tightly woven together and surviving the harsh societal environment of an Appalachian mining town in the early to mid-1900s. Two religions contrast with each other--the Cherokee spirits of the native people and the Old Testament God of the white settlers--as each woman struggles to find her place. Love and hate, marriage and adultery, childbirth and abortion, all have their parts to play. Beloved Mother accurately portrays the evilness in humanity, in which the wicked corrupt the innocent to create a vicious cycle of abuse, until one person--with a heart of understanding and forgiveness--has the courage to end it.
Laura Hunter was raised in Alabama hill country and now lives near Tuscaloosa. She has published 16 award-winning fiction pieces, nine poems, in addition to the numerous articles published through different media outlets. She has written a collection of fictional short stories focused on Copeland's Crossing, Alabama, which is waiting on publication. Her latest work is a novel centered on actual experimentation on and sterilization of a young female of color in mid-20th century Alabama entitled Beloved Mother. Beloved Mother is set to be released Spring 2019.
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
~Look to the right of the book cover~
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" are readily available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is accurate! We will keep you posted on any outliers.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition, so please feel free to place the order. We will let you know right away if we must cancel, along with our heartfelt regrets!
- Items that are "Backordered" will be delayed. Sometimes we have an exact date of when the publisher will have them ready and sometimes we do not. We will keep you in the loop, either way!
- If you select In-Store Pickup (currently Curbside Pickup whilst engaged in pandemic safety measures) we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available. At that point, we will schedule a pickup time that coincides with your essential errands.
- Friends & Family Members Please select Pay In-Store, and call or email to arrange pick-up and payment.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and include your gift card number, found on the back of the card, in the order comments.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!