You are hereBack to top
Book Signing & Talk • Peggy Wallace Kennedy
Join us as we welcome Peggy Wallace Kennedy to the Tuscaloosa Public Library! She will sign and discuss her new book: The Broken Road: George Wallace and a Daughter’s Journey to Reconciliation. Signing starts at 11:00 am, reading and discussion at 11:30 am.
From the daughter of one of America's most virulent segregationists, a memoir that reckons with her father George Wallace's legacy of hate, and illuminates her journey towards redemption.
Peggy Wallace Kennedy has been widely hailed as the "symbol of racial reconciliation" (Washington Post). In the summer of 1963, though, she was just a young girl watching her father stand in a schoolhouse door as he tried to block two African-American students from entering the University of Alabama. This man, former governor of Alabama and presidential candidate George Wallace, was notorious for his hateful rhetoric and his political stunts. But he was also a larger-than-life father to young Peggy, who was taught to smile, sit straight, and not speak up as her father took to the political stage. At the end of his life, Wallace came to renounce his views, although he could never attempt to fully repair the damage he caused. But Peggy, after her own political awakening, dedicated her life to spreading the new Wallace message—one of peace and compassion.
In this powerful new memoir, Peggy looks back on the politics of her youth and attempts to reconcile her adored father with the man who coined the phrase "Segregation now. Segregation tomorrow. Segregation forever."
Timely and timeless, The Broken Road speaks to change, atonement, activism, and racial reconciliation.
Peggy Wallace Kennedy is a nationally recognized speaker, lecturer, and writer. Her father, George Wallace and her mother, Lurleen Wallace, were both governors of Alabama. Mrs. Kennedy has received, among others, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference Rosa Parks Legacy Award; the Emmett Till Legacy Foundation Woman of Courage Award; the Brown Foundation Human Rights Award; and the MLK Commission Award, City of San Antonio, Texas. Her dedication to racial reconciliation offers hope for change in a divided America. She lives in Montgomery, Alabama.
Shopping Tips & Updates
1. Please anticipate 3-5 business days for in-store pickup. We will let you know of any further delays, but if you need an item right away please call to see if it is in stock: (205) 632-5331.
2. Masks are required to enter the showroom and we are still offering curbside pickup if that is preferable. Select "in-store pickup," and when you receive notification that your order is ready, simply call from the curb out front and we will run it to you!
3. We are not accepting book drop-offs for store credit or donation (we never offer cash). We may re-evaluate after Nov. 8, 2020 when the state-wide mandate is expected to end. TBD. Thank you for understanding and continuing to do your part to stop the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" are available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is generally accurate. We will keep you posted on any outliers, especially during Covidia.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email email@example.com.
- "Backordered" books may be available, just not right away. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are purchasing a lot of items, please be aware that there may be delays, or they may arrive at different times. If any books are "Pre-Orders" please put those in a separate order, if at all possible. Much appreciated!
- If you select In-Store Pickup, we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available and waiting on our Contactless Cart, located just inside and behind the front door. Our current hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Sunday. Masks are still required to enter. If you'd prefer curbside pickup, please call from the front curb during business hours: (205) 632-5331.
- Friends & Family Members Please mention membership in the order comments. New total will be calculated after you submit the order but before payment is processed.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and In-Store Pickup (even if you need your order shipped), and include your gift card number on the back of the card in the order comments, along with your mailing address, if applicable. If your gift card will not cover the total with shipping (standard shipping is $2.50 + $2.00 per item) or you'd like to check your balance, please call (205) 632-5331 or email email@example.com.
- Having trouble completing the order? Please leave your items in your cart and call (205) 632-5331 to finish your order over the phone.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!