You are hereBack to top
Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know (Hardcover)
About the Author
"Talking to Strangers is a must-read...I love this book... Reading it will actually change not just how you see strangers, but how you look at yourself, the news--the world...Reading this book changed me."—Oprah Winfrey, O, The Oprah Magazine
know others...Gladwell brilliantly argues that
we should stop assuming, realize no one's transparent and understand that
behavior is tied to unseen circumstances."
a compelling, conversation-starting read...At a time when the world feels intractably
polarized, a book examining the varying ways we misinterpret or fail to
communicate with one another could not feel more necessary...With a mix of
reporting, research and a deft narrative hand, Gladwell illuminates these
examples with the page-turning urgency of a paperback thriller."
"Mr. Gladwell's towering success rests on the moment when the skeptic starts to think that maybe we're wrong about everything and maybe, just maybe, this Gladwell guy is onto something...Talking to Strangers is weightier than his previous titles."—Amy Chozick, New York Times
"Gladwell uses compelling real-world examples to show the how and why behind our interactions with folks we're trying to understand."
—Rhett Power, Forbes
of gripping anecdotes from the recent and forgotten past. He uses these
riveting stories to offer up bite-size observations about how we engage with
insights, writes like an angel, and has earned a massive and admiring audience.
He has a keen eye and a witty flair and he's one of the best observationalists
of a generation. Gladwell is a big-picture thinker who helps us make sense of
the human condition."
Gladwell peppers his work with unforgettable facts... He has immense gifts--a
probing, original, questioning mind, an ability to dig up information others
haven't considered and tie it to a broader point. He has a narrative skill
interesting research about our blunders with strangers, and why we make
them...It's fascinating to peek at these incidents through Mr. Gladwell's
without ever sounding preaching or proud. The stories make you think."
Shopping Tips & Updates
**PLEASE ANTICIPATE LONGER SHIPPING TIMES** We apologize for any inconvenience, but please add 1-3 business days to the "ships in 1-5 days" indicated next to available items on order. This is temporary!
Items appearing here do not necessarily indicate what is currently in stock at Ernest & Hadley Books. The product information displayed are records of books that have been, are, or will be available.
Please call ahead if you would like to see if it is currently in-stock: (205) 632-5331, click here OR use this as your guide:
- Items that "Usually Ship in 1-5 Days" (**see above**) are available! We either have it in stock or we may need to order it from the warehouse. Either way, we place orders twice a week so 1-5 business days is generally accurate. We will keep you posted on any outliers, especially during Covidia.
- Items listed as "Hard to Find" or "Special Order," are likely not available. That being said, there is a possibility we have it in Used condition or an alternative edition. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email email@example.com.
- "Backordered" books may be available, just not right away. Please call the store to inquire and/or complete your order, (205) 632-5331, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are purchasing a lot of items, please be aware that there may be delays, or they may arrive at different times. If any books are "Pre-Orders" please put those in a separate order, if at all possible. Much appreciated!
- If you select In-Store Pickup, we will let you know as soon as your item(s) are available and waiting on our Contactless Cart, located just inside and behind the front door. Our current hours are Monday through Friday, 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM, Saturday from 9:30 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Sunday. Masks are still required to enter. If you'd prefer curbside pickup, please call from the front curb during business hours: (205) 632-5331.
- Friends & Family Members Please mention membership in the order comments. New total will be calculated after you submit the order but before payment is processed.
- TO USE A GIFT CARD Select Pay In-Store and In-Store Pickup (even if you need your order shipped), and include your gift card number on the back of the card in the order comments, along with your mailing address, if applicable. If your gift card will not cover the total with shipping (standard shipping is $2.50 + $2.00 per item) or you'd like to check your balance, please call (205) 632-5331 or email email@example.com.
- Having trouble completing the order? Please leave your items in your cart and call (205) 632-5331 to finish your order over the phone.
Please visit our Help/FAQs page for more helpful tips.
Any other questions, just ask! We miss being face-to-face with our lovely customers, but are just a phone call (or email) away! Be safe, stay well, HAPPY READING!